It’s year-end wrap-up time.
And Untappd’s Greg Avola, one of the founders of the popular mobile app that allows users to rate and review beer, has just posted the platform’s top 10 beer styles of based on the total number of global check-ins..
And we’ve got that for you along with the most checked-in beer brand in each style-segment…
Untappd 2020 – Top 10 Beer Styles
10) Pale Lager – Top Beer in the Style: Birra Moretti L’Autentica / Ricetta Originale
9) Belgian Tripel – Top Beer in the Style: Tripel Karmeliet by Brouwerij Bosteels
8) Session IPA – Top Beer in the Style: Founders All Day IPA
7) Imperial / Double Stout – Top Beer in the Style: Bourbon County Brand Stout (2020) by Goose Island
6) Fruit Sour – Top Beer in the Style: Dogfish Head Vibrant P’ocean
5) Imperial / Double New England IPA – Top Beer in the Style: King Sue by Toppling Goliath Brewing
4) American Pale Ale – Top Beer in the Style: Sierra Nevada Pale Ale
3) Imperial / Double IPA – Top Beer in the Style: Bell’s Hopslam Ale 2020
2) New England IPA– Top Beer in the Style: Sierra Nevada Hazy Little Thing
1) American IPA – Top Beer in the Style: BrewDog Punk IPA
Our take on Untappd’s Top Beer Styles of 2020 is that last year’s ranking was generally predictable, but there were some surprises.
We thought that the Pale Lager style might have come in a little higher than #10, if only for the fact that they are so omnipresent around the world.
We were also surprised to see the Belgian Triple style show up at all in Untappd’s Top 10, let alone at #9, outperforming Lagers. We guarantee you it wouldn’t have shown so well if this was a US only list rather than global ranking.
Fruit Sours (#6) outperforming Imperial Stouts (#7) also surprised us a little, but maybe it was a seasonal thing. Although purists might disagree, Imperial Stouts are more commonly associated with the fall and winter months and Fruit Sours pretty much any season.
And finally we were blown away that Toppling Goliath’s King Sue was the most checked in beer in the Imperial New England IPA style ranking. We didn’t realize that the Decorah, Iowa brewery had upgraded its capacity thanks to a new 100-barrel brewery. Nor that working with Sunshine State Distributing in Orlando, Florida, the Midwest brewery now enjoys a 17 state reach.
Want more Untapped news bytes?