Festive foods take on new meaning when made with serious craft beer and this time we’re taking on a classic Midwestern soup dish.
We recently featured Founders Brewing’s popular All Day IPA, a 4.7% ABV Session India Pale Ale, in a mac & cheese dish that’s terrific, as well as in a crab cake recipe that nails it. But it’s also makes a serious soup dish
This hearty soup recipe comes our way from Justin Golinski Culinary Director at Founders Brewing in Grand Rapids, Michigan.
This from Chef Golinski…
“Few things scream “The Midwest” more than a bowl of super cheesy cheese soup. My take on the classic involves an entire can of All Day IPA, which adds a slight bitterness and tang to the otherwise one-dimensional richness. Finish it off with some crumbled potato chips and you have just out-Midwested this Midwest staple.”
All Day IPA Hearty Cheese Soup
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 2 medium sized carrots, finely chopped
- 2 leeks, white and light green parts only, finely chopped
- salt and pepper
- 1/3 cup flour
- 3 cups milk
- (1) 12 ounce can of All Day IPA (find it locally using our beer finder)
- 1.5 tablespoons Founders Dirty Bastard Stone Ground Mustard
- 5 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 5 ounces smoked gouda cheese, grated
- potato chips, for garnish
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Add the carrots and leeks, season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring, until soft, 10 minutes.
- Add the flour and cook, stirring often, for 2 minutes.
- Slowly pour in the milk, whisking constantly. Increase the heat to medium-high.
- Add the All Day IPA and mustard and bring the soup to a boil, whisking constantly.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer, whisking, until creamy and thickened, about 10 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat. Whisk in the cheese 1 handful at a time until combined. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Top with the potato chips.
Want more beer recipes?
We’ve got them…
(All image credits: Founders Brewing)