Michelob Ultra, the official beer sponsor of the NBA, is tipping off the year with a new series of uniquely designed, limited-edition NBA team cans for fans of 18 teams across the league.
Introduced in 2002, Michelob Ultra is marketed as healthy lifestyle lager with just 95 calories, 2.6 carbs and no artificial flavors or colors.
Currently the fastest growing beer brand in the US by share and the No. 2 beer in the industry by dollar sales, Michelob Ultra is once again celebrating the NBA’s teams and their passionate fans with 18 different team cans.
This season’s NBA Team Cans were designed by six dynamic artists with their own unique styles who bring the new collection to life in a way that represents the pride, joy, and culture of each city’s team, including:
- Jacob Rochester – Took a lo-fi analog approach, infusing collaged and scanned imagery throughout the Los Angeles Lakers, Memphis Grizzlies, Miami Heat, Dallas Mavericks and Orlando Magic team cans.
- Chuck Anderson – Returns to the Michelob Ultra NBA Team Cans roster to bring bold, powerful, intense and thoughtful designs to instantly recognizable and iconic teams, including the Chicago Bulls and Utah Jazz.
- Bradley Ward – H-town based artist reps his hometown team, the Houston Rockets, by infusing classic elements from the “Clutch City”. Bradley also designed the New Orleans Pelicans Team Can, which boldly features the team’s colors of midnight blue, red, gold and white.
- Josanna Torrocha – Took inspiration from the role currency plays in basketball slang to create designs for the New York Knicks, Detroit Pistons, Atlanta Hawks and Philadelphia 76ers.
- Eric Elms – A visual story can be found throughout Eric Elms’ designs, as he took inspiration from each team’s fandoms and the slogans they use to cheer on their teams including the: Golden State Warriors, Oklahoma City Thunder, San Antonio Spurs, Washington Wizards and the Charlotte Hornets.
- BigShot Robot – The Milwaukee-based artist known for creating colorful explosions and explorations of curiosity, vibrancy, humor, and movement, drew inspiration from his relationship with the city and the Milwaukee Bucks team to pay homage to its two championship seasons.
On July 23, 2020 Anheuser-Busch announced that Michelob Ultra had been named the “Official Beer Partner of the NBA,” replacing another AB InBev beer brand Budweiser.
Budweiser had been the NBA’s beer partner since 2011 but over the years its once unassailable dominance has faltered. While Michelob Ultra’s low-crab, low calorie, healthier lifestyle appeal has grown exponentially. The multi-year agreement marks a transition of sorts for the world’s largest brewing company.
This year’s Michelob Ultra NBA Team Cans are available for a limited time beginning December 5. The collection comes just in time for the NBA’s holiday game schedule.
(All image credits: Michelob Ultra)