An organization is only as good as the people who represent it…That’s why we’re so pleased by the Brewers Association’s 2021 Board of Directors.
Dan Kleban, co-founder, Maine Beer Company in Freeport, Maine, will serve a second term as the Executive Committee Chair this year – he’s one of craft beer’s most astute voices and a smart and fun guy. And as he’s been given a second term, it’s pretty clear that he didn’t screw anything up too badly last year.
“I’m honored to be in my second year as chair of the board,” said Kleban. “I view the year ahead as one of opportunity. While we have a lot of work to do to address many of the issues that have been presented to us over the last year, we also have the chance to position the Brewers Association to thrive as we move out of the pandemic.”
“We will continue to press federal and state policymakers to support our industry as we continue to operate under very challenging circumstances. Issues of equity, inclusion, and justice are at the top of our list of priorities as well.”
Kleban thanked outgoing board members Kevin Blodger, Steve Hindy, Brooklyn Brewery, Wynne Odell, Odell Brewing, and Julie Verratti, Denizens Brewing for their collective 32 years of leadership, dedication, and service.
The Boulder-based Brewers Association also added four new representatives to the 20-person Executive Committee.
(*indicates new to board in 2021)
- Chair – Dan Kleban, Maine Beer Company, Freeport, Maine
- Vice Chair – Garrett Marrero, Maui Brewing Co., Kihei, Hawaii
- Secretary/Treasurer – Leah Cheston, Right Proper Brewing Co., Washington, D.C.
- Brewers Association President & CEO – Bob Pease
Packaging Breweries Representative Board Members
- Leslie Henderson, Lazy Magnolia Brewing Co., Kiln, Miss.
- *Chris Herron, CEO, Creature Comforts Brewing Company, Athens, Ga.
- Dan Kleban, Maine Beer Co., Freeport, Maine
- Garrett Marrero, Maui Brewing Co., Kihei, Hawaii
- *Virginia Morrison, CEO, Second Chance Beer Company, San Diego, Calif.
- Sara Nelson, Fremont Brewing Co., Seattle, Wash.
- Jason Perkins, Allagash Brewing Co., Portland, Maine
Pub Breweries Representative Board Members
- *Marcus Baskerville, Weathered Souls Brewing Co., San Antonio, Texas
- Sean Casey, Church Brew Works, Pittsburgh, Pa.
- Leah Cheston, Right Proper Brewing Co., Washington, D.C.
- Jennifer Talley, Grass Valley, Calif.
Taproom Breweries Representative Board Members
- *Betty Bollas, Fibonacci Brewing Co., Cincinnati, Ohio
- Melissa Romano, Lake Ann Brew House, Reston Va.
At-Large Board Members
- Tim Brady, Whetstone Station Restaurant & Brewery, Brattleboro, Vt.
- Larry Horwitz, TEN20 Craft Brewery, Louisville, Ky.
- Jose Mallea, Biscayne Bay Brewing Co., Miami, Fla.
- Fred Matt, Saranac Brewery/Matt Brewing Company, Utica, N.Y.
- Peter Skrbek, Deschutes Brewery, Bend, Ore.
American Homebrewers Association Representative Board Members
- Jill Marilley, Everett, Wash.
- Roxanne Westendorf, Cincinnati, Ohio
- AHA Governing – Jill Marilley
- Brewpubs – Tim Brady
- Diversity, Equity & Inclusion – Roxanne Westendorf (interim)
- Events – Leslie Henderson
- Executive – Dan Kleban
- Finance – Leah Cheston
- Governance – Roxanne Westendorf
- Government Affairs – Garrett Marrero
- Market Development – Fred Matt
- Public Relations & Marketing – Jose Mallea
- Taprooms—Melissa Romano
- Technical— Larry Horwitz, Jason Perkins
“2020 was undoubtedly the most challenging time in recent history for both the craft brewing community and society at large,” commented Bob Pease, president and CEO, Brewers Association….
“While there are signs of a potential end to the health and economic crisis, the challenges of 2020 will likely continue into some, if not all, of 2021.”
“I look forward to working alongside our new and longstanding directors to forge a path forward for the craft brewing community and deliver timely and relevant resources to help our members of all sizes and business types succeed during this period of continued change.”