These are polarizing times and Bud Light is continuing to face fallout following its partnership with Dylan Mulvaney, a transgender influencer whose image was put on a Bud Light beer can to celebrate “365 Days of Girlhood.”
Bud Light’s decision to showcase the Trans Tik Tok activist on a special can spurred a Boycott Bud Light! online campaign, a video of Kid Rock shooting up a bunch of bud light beer cans that went viral, and a huge surge in online interest in the Samuel Adams Beer.
And now an Anheuser-Busch spokesperson has confirmed to CNN Business that “several Anheuser-Busch facilities received threats last week.”
“Anheuser-Busch works with hundreds of influencers across our brands as one of many ways to authentically connect with audiences across various demographics,” according to a spokesperson. “From time to time we produce unique commemorative cans for fans and for brand influencers, like Dylan Mulvaney. This commemorative can was a gift to celebrate a personal milestone and is not for sale to the general public.”
“The safety of our employees is always our top priority,” the company spokesperson said in a statement to CNN . “We worked quickly with local law enforcement to ensure the security of our people and our facilities.”
“The spokesperson did not share specific locations that had been threatened, but the Los Angeles police department told CNN that it responded to a bomb threat and conducted a sweep of an Anheuser-Busch brewery in the Van Nuys neighborhood last week.”
Amid the initial backlash, Anheuser-Busch’s market capitalization dropped nearly $6billion, a decline of nearly 5% however the global brewer has recovered some of those reported losses since then.
“It’s a big thing to cause a drop in the stock price, a drop in sales,” said Andrew Gilman, founder and CEO of CommCore, a consulting group with expertise in crisis communication told CNN business writer Danielle Wiener-Bronne. But those things “will probably recover,” he noted. “It’s another thing if, in fact, your employees are threatened.”
On April 14, Anheuser-Busch CEO Brendan Whitworth released a formal statement (without specifically addressing its partnership with Trans Activist Dylan Mulvaney) on a matter they’d probably hoped would have died down by now…
“Gilman added that he “sees the message as an attempt to calm both sides. But it’s not clear whether it succeeded.”