There’s no gridlock when it comes to beer and this week a Republican Congresswomen, who crafted a winning brew along brewers from Anheuser-Busch’s St. Louis Brewery, was crowned a big winner…
Here’s the ‘inside skinny’ on the 3rd annual Anheuser-Busch Brew Democracy Cup….
Now in its third year, the Anheuser-Busch Brew Democracy Cup pairs members of congress on both sides of the aisle with company brewmasters from their home state, to create a signature beer inspired by local flavors and ingredients.
Each of those 10 special beers are then judged by a non-partisan panel of beer experts. And this year Congresswoman Ann Wagner, along with the St. Louis Brewery in Missouri, was crowned the 2019 winner of the Brew Democracy Cup at the third annual Anheuser-Busch Brew Across America Beer Festival in Washington, DC.
Congresswoman Wagner couldn’t have been more magnanimous as she basked in the glory that came with her group’s big win…
“I am excited to win this year’s Brew Democracy Cup with our “Big House Brew,” a Beachwood-aged beer we brewed in St. Louis with ingredients from historic Grant’s Farm… Thanks to Anheuser-Busch for giving us such a great opportunity to create and share a beer that showcases local Missouri agriculture and is perfect to crack open on a hot day after work.”
Anheuser-Busch launched Brew Across America in 2017 as a way to bring the nation’s political leaders together over a beer to discuss issues facing the country.
The initiative highlights the bipartisan nature of beer and its ability to foster dialogue and find common ground.
Last year, Rep. Mike Quigley (D-IL) and the Goose Island Beer team won the cup with “Scout’s Cerveza.” And In 2017, Rep. Jason Smith (R-MO) and the St. Louis Anheuser-Busch brew team won took home the big honor for their “Gateway IPA.”
“Beer is bipartisan, and what better way to bring members of Congress together than over a friendly brewing competition?” said Cesar Vargas, U.S. Chief External Affairs Officer at Anheuser-Busch…
“As the leader of the US beer industry, we’re honored to have so many members visit our breweries and share in our history and heritage of brewing great beer. Congratulations to Congresswoman Ann Wagner, whose beer we look forward to enjoying on tap at the bar in our DC office.”
The 10 participating Members of Brew Across America 2019 were:
- Rep. Ann Wagner (R-MO) and the Anheuser-Busch St. Louis Brewery
- Rep. Elaine Luria (D-VA) and the Anheuser-Busch Williamsburg Brewery
- Sen. Rick Scott (R-FL) and the Anheuser-Busch Jacksonville Brewery
- Sen. Tammy Duckworth (D-IL) and Goose Island Beer Company
- Sen. Tim Kaine (D-VA) and Devils Backbone Brewing Company
- Sen. Kyrsten Sinema (D-AZ) and Four Peaks Brewing Company
- Rep. Joe Neguse (D-CO) and the Breckenridge Brew Pub
- Rep. Dan Crenshaw (R-TX) and Karbach Brewing Company
- Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX) and the Anheuser-Busch Houston Brewery
- Sen. Josh Hawley (R-MO) and the Anheuser-Busch St. Louis Brewery
This year’s judging panel was made up of members of the media, beer industry experts, and restaurant executives:
- Bill Catron, Capitol Eagle
- Susan Davis, NPR
- Josh Dawsey, The Washington Post
- Paul Kane, The Washington Post
- Julia Manchester, The Hill
- Lachlan Markay, Daily Beast
- Jim McGreevy, Beer Institute
- Tom O’Connell, Head Judge and Sr. Director of Brewing Operations at Anheuser-Busch
- Manu Raju, CNN
- Kayla Tausche, CNBC
- Paul Volpe, POLITICO